Goal Setting Tips:
How To Set
"The reason most people never reach their goals is that they don't define them, or ever seriously consider them as believable or achievable. winners can tell you where they are going. what they plan to do along the way, and who will be sharing the adventure with them." Denis Whately
What do you want?
Successful goal setting depends on being very specific about what you want to achieve.
- What exactly do you want? Write your goal in detail. When your goal is detailed it removes ambiguity and gives you precise instructions. A well written goal is like a blueprint.
- Make sure your goal is measurable. You need to be able to measure your progress so that you know where you are and what you need to do next
- Give yourself a time limit. When you create a deadline and make a commitment to meet it, it forces you to take action.
Why do you want to achieve your goal?
Identify why you want to achieve your goal. Knowing why you want it and what achieving your goal will give you, will help to motivate you.
- What is important to you about your goal?
- What difference will achieving it make to your life?
- What will you have as a result of achieving your goal?
- What are the benefits to you and the people around you?
How will you achieve your goal?
Create a step by step action plan.
- What specific steps do you need to take to achieve your goal?
- In what order?
- What skills or knowledge do you need to achieve this goal?
- How will you get the necessary skills?
- What resources do you need?
- What obstacles will you need to overcome?
- How will you overcome them?
"Crystallize your goals. Make a plan for achieving them and set yourself a deadline. Then, with supreme confidence, determination and disregard for obstacles and other people's criticisms, carry out your plan." Paul Meyer
Return To Top Of Goal Setting Tips |
Return To Coaching Articles |
Contact Lynne |
Return To Christian Life Coaching Home Page